No matter where you live or how you live, security is paramount. The use of garage door keypads to open and close garage doors is a safe and simple solution. As a homeowner with a garage, installing the best garage door opener keypad is crucial and beneficial.
The days of opening the garage door by hand are long gone. Almost every garage door now has a keypad, whether it’s a numeric or wireless keypad. You can use the keypad installed on the wall beside the garage door to unlock the garage door or have it installed on a pole or fence if you don’t have a remote.
In this article, we look at how using the best keypad garage door opener can be a lifesaver and how they compare to others. By the end, I hope we will have answered all your questions about keypad garage door openers.
Best Keypad Garage Door Openers 2024 list
- Liftmaster 877max– best programmable garage door keypad
- Overhead Door– For colder/in-climate cities
- Genie Wireless Keypad– best for Genie openers
- Chamberlain/LiftMaster/Craftsman 940EV-P2– best with safety sensors
- Chamberlain KLIK2U-P2– best universal wireless keypad
- Linear LPWKP MegaCode– best for Linear openers
- Marantec Wireless– best for multiple garage door openers
- Can You Buy Replacement Garage Door Openers?
- Best Bluetooth Speaker for Garage
- Best Clear Coat for Garage Floors
- Best Utility Sink for Your Garages
- Can I Open My Garage Door with My Phone?
Best Keypad Garage Door Openers Review
In this review, we’ll look at some of the best keypad garage door openers in terms of safety, convenience, performance, economy, and durability.
Liftmaster 877max Wireless Garage Door Keypad
This wireless garage door keypad is one the best around. When you get home, you don’t have to look for the wireless door remote. The keypad allows you to easily open and close the door.
You can be certain that only you and the people you trust in your household know the code and can open it by using the four-digit code.
However, you can add a temporary access code for the delivery man, guests, and other service people. It differs from your code in that it expires after a set period of time.
It also uses security+ 2.0 and security+ rolling code technologies for enhanced security. This will ensure that every time you use the opener to open or close the door, you will receive a different code. This makes it harder for outsiders to know the code.
Aside from that, it has a protective flip-up cover that protects it from rain. Furthermore, it boasts a backlit keypad that allows you and others to see the numbers in the dark.
- Backlit keyboard
- Waterproof flip cover
- Compatible with most Liftmaster garage doors
- Rolling code technology Security 2.0
- Some people have compained about the instructions being hard to follow.
Overhead Door Wireless Keypad Garage Door Opener(Ideal for colder and inclimate cities)
You can program up to three Overhead Door garage door openers with this wireless keypad garage door opener. It’s also a digital wireless keypad, which means it uses less power.
The device uses two AAA batteries included in the packaging, and it can run for a long time. When the power does run out, though, it contains a handy low battery indicator light to remind you to replace the batteries.
Furthermore, you have the option of creating a personalized or custom identification number that is entirely unique to you. It works with Genie Intellicode 1 and 2 as well as CodeDodger 1 and 2.
Its keypad is far larger than typical keypad sizes on the market, making it much easier to read. They are also completely illuminated at all times to ensure visibility in low light and in the dark.
It also comes with a flip-up cover that protects it from the elements, just like the rest of the keypads. The cover also contains ultraviolet or UV radiation protection to keep it safe from the sun.
- Has a low battery light indicator
- Larger keypad
- Flip cover with UV ray protection
- Backlit keyboard
- Vulnerable to windblown moisture
Genie Wireless Keypad Garage Door Opener With Intellicode Security Technology (specifically for Genie garage door openers)
- KEYLESS GARAGE ACCESS WITH A PIN: enter your garage without needing to carry a key with the genie garage door opener wireless keyless entry pad..Temporary Pin: Can be provided to repairpersons, meter readers, house sitters, etc., while you’re away, without compromising your family’s private entry code
- SAFE AND SECURE: The Genie garage door opener wireless keypad has Intellicode technology that prevents access to your garage by unauthorized persons.
- COMPATIBILITY: Compatible with all Genie garage door openers with intellicode technology; works with genie single or dual frequency openers manufactured since 1995.
- PATENTED AUTO SEEK DUAL FREQUENCY: ensures the Genie garage door opener wireless keypad will respond regardless of possible nearby frequency interference. Frequency (315MHz/390MHz)
- EASY PROGRAMMING AND INSTALLATION: mounts with screws (included) and features a back-lit keypad and flip cover.
This wireless keypad garage opener works on two frequencies. If there is interference, it can handle the alternate frequency. It uses the frequencies 315 MHZ and 390 MHZ to operate.
It has the ability to manage up to three garage doors at once. The dual-frequency ensures that it can broadcast in any circumstance. This keypad supports the Intellicode 1 technology. The backlight is on the keypad.
The keyboard also includes a flip cover which acts as a waterproofing feature. It can withstand various weather conditions, including rain, snow, and wind.
For added security, this keyless keypad access device can generate a four-digit code. This device works with all garage door brands built after 1996. The security system on the device is amazing.
It utilizes rolling code technology, which allows the access code for the opener to change whenever used. Unauthorized entrance is exceedingly tough. You can easily program the device.
The organization provides exceptional customer service. This device uses a 9-volt battery. There is no need for a content power flow option. It’s a good idea to keep an extra set of batteries at home just in case.
- Backlight keypad
- Ensures that the opener continues to function even if there is disruptions to surrounding frequencies
- Allows the creation of temporary PINs
- Intellicode technology
- The backlight keypad has issues sometimes
The Chamberlain/LiftMaster/Craftsman 940EV-P2 Keypad Garage Door Opener(safety sensors)
- Works with most major brands: Compatible with Chamberlain, LiftMaster and Craftsman garage door openers from 1993 to present (openers with safety sensors)
- Single button Closure; Install the battery and program the keyless entry prior to installation; Make sure the garage door opener has a working light bulb because it is a programming indicator; Not compatible with Craftsman Series 100
- Temporary pin can be programmed for deliveries/guests
- Easy installation and programming within minutes and easy to follow wireless programming allows for setup in seconds and eliminates the need for electrical connections to the side of the garage opening
- Compatible with nearly every Chamberlain, Lift Master, and Craftsman garage door opener installed in North America from 1993 to present; Not compatible with Craftsman Series 100. Universal Fit: No
These wireless keypad garage door openers work with practically every Lift Master, Chamberlain, and Craftsman garage door opener built after 1993.
The installation procedure is straightforward.
With their simple instructions, you can program the device in minutes. It also doesn’t require any electrical connections because it’s wireless.
For safety reasons, such as deliveries, houseworkers, and visitors, you can quickly make a temporary pin. When you’re finished with the project, simply remove the pin. Its keypad is protected from rain and other weather conditions by a cover. You also won’t have to worry about leaks because the cover is strong and does a fantastic job of protecting the keypads from damage.
It also has a four-digit PIN. You can use it to open and close multiple garage doors. The keypads light at night, allowing you to see well without the use of any external devices.
- Easy to install
- Protective cover
- The keypads illuminate when dark
- Can open multiple doors
- Cover hard to open
Chamberlain KLIK2U-P2 Keypad Garage Door Opener– best universal wireless keypad
- Highly compatible details: The Original Clicker Universal Wireless Keypad provides trusted keyless garage or gate access universal frequency recognition identifies over 90 percentage of all garage door openers installed in North America; The Original Clicker Universal Wireless Keypad by Chamberlain is intended for use with residential door openers manufactured after 1993 that use photoelectric sensors; Any garage door opener that does not have these sensors installed and working should be replaced; Code type compatibility: Billion code 390 MHz, Security+ 390 MHz, Security+ 315 MHz, Security+ 20, Linear MegaCode 318 MHz, Genie Intellicode 390 MHz and 315MHz, Stanley SecureCode 310 MHz
- Easy setup: Easy to follow wireless programming allows for setup in seconds and eliminates the need for electrical connections to the side of the garage opening
- Simply secure: Offers secure encryption to prevent hacking, and a backlit keypad illuminates the buttons for quick, keyless entry in any light via a personal 4 digit code, providing convenience, security and peace of mind
- Proven quality: The sliding cover has passed rigorous quality testing to ensure it protects the keypad from all weather conditions
- Note : For better connectivity user should check to confirm that adequate Wi-Fi signal is there in their garage before setting up. Box includes: 9V battery and instruction manual
This keypad garage door opener is one of the best because it works with nearly all garage door opener brands.
Its keypad uses Smart Learn technology which makes it simple to program and use. The Chamberlain Clicker is entirely wireless and runs on a 9-volt battery that is included in the box.
A neat sliding cover on top of it will save you from worrying about the weather. Furthermore, the keypad is lighted, making it easy to operate at night.
Because of its adaptability, it will work with Genie, Linear, Moore-O-Matic, Stanley, Overhead Door, Wayne-Dalton, Craftsman, Chamberlain, LiftMaster, etc
- Compatible with many brands
- Backlit keypad
- Wireless connection
- The cover is hard to open
- Does not support Sommer and Extreme
Linear LPWKP MegaCode Wireless Keypad Garage Door Opener
This keypad is designed for the MedaCode line of garage and gate radio controls. A PIN of 1 to 6 digits can be chosen, with longer codes certainly providing better security.
After entering the PIN, you have 30 seconds to reactivate the open or closed feature without having to re-enter the code.
The numbers on the keyboard are backlit with a blue light to make them visible at night. The keypad has its own button for turning on the backlight.
There is also a lockout feature on this linear keypad. The keypad will be disabled after 10 failed attempts at entering the PIN. Before attempting to enter a new code again, you must wait for 30 seconds.
The LPWKP is is compatible with the LD033, LD050, LS050, LC075, LDCO800, LSO50, and LSO50-2T Linear garage door openers.
- Backlit keypad
- Button to turn the backlight on and off.
- Lockout timer
- Saves on battery life
- A few people hav reported stuck keys but it’s a rare issue.
The Marantec Wireless Keyless Entry System Garage Door Opener Keypad (best for multiple garage doors)
- CONVENIENT KEYLESS ACCESS- UP TO 4 GARAGE DOORS: Open your garage without a key or remote by entering a 4-digit personal identification number (PIN). A one-button close features allows the garage door(s) to be closed by the touch a single button.
- ADVANCED SAFETY & SECURITY: Programmed with secure multi-bit code only compatible with Marantec Garage Door Openers operating on a 315 MHz frequency. Temporary PINs may be programmed to allow authorized visitor access for guests or service personnel.
- QUICK PROGRAMMING: Simply follow our included detailed written instructions on how to program the keypad to wirelessly open and close up to 4 separate garage door opener without need for keys or remote controls.
- EASY INSTALL: Comes with a spacer kit for mounting onto metal surfaces, mounting screws, 2 AAA batteries, and programming instructions for convenient access on outside of garage.
- DURABILITY AND EASE OF USE: The all-weather durable slide up cover protects the keypad from the elements and controls energy saving mode. The keypad comes with large back-lit buttons to provide instant feedback to ensure you’re entering the right code.
This keypad will only work with a Marantec garage door opener that operates on a 315 MHz frequency. This opener can be used on up to four garage doors, eliminating the need for a separate keypad for each door.
A four-digit PIN is programmed inside the door. The keypad contains a button that, when pressed, closes the garage door without requiring the PIN to be entered again.
The keypad allows you to set a temporary PIN to provide workers, visitors, and others limited access to your house without having to reset the permanent code.
The keypad has a sleek silver metallic appearance. It has an all-weather cover that slides up and stays in place at its highest resting position, allowing you to enter your PIN with no distractions. The big illuminated buttons make viewing the keypad easy no matter what time of day it is.
It runs on two triple-A batteries, which come with the keypad and mounting plate/kit. To keep the batteries safe from the weather conditions, they’re kept in a weatherproof battery holder.
- Prevents frequency interference
- Can open multiple doors
- Comes with the necessary items for easy installation
- Can be difficult to program
How does the best keypad garage door opener work?
A keypad for the garage door is positioned on the outside of the garage door. You can program it with an easily memorable code (usually four numbers) to allow access to the garage.
The garage door opens when you type the code or PIN into the programmable keypad. When you go on a walk, for example, you won’t have to worry about carrying the garage remote or even a house key. Anyone with the passcode can basically get into the garage.
You can put a temporary PIN to allow persons like service or delivery workers to open the garage temporarily.
What to look for when buying a keypad garage door opener
In anything you do, preparation is essential. Here are some of the most crucial factors to keep in mind when purchasing a keypad garage door opener. Keep in mind your preferences, requirements, and so on.
The level of security it provides is the first and most critical item to check when buying a keypad garage door opener. Almost every wireless keypad has a +2.0 security feature, as well as the ability to use a rolling code.
This ensures that no one may invade or crack the system by changing the code after each use. It’s also a useful tool for allowing guests, deliveries, and other visitors to enter the home only once before canceling the temporary code.
The device’s external protection is critical because all wireless keypads are outside the house. Rain, snow, and other extreme weather conditions can easily destroy the gadget. This is why it comes with a flip-up cover.
However, not all of them offer adequate protection. Moisture enters through the spaces with the breeze, causing damage to the system. Check the cover to see if it easily fits over the keypad.
Wireless or wired
The majority of the models available in the market are wireless, but wired keypads are also available. Each one of them has its advantages. With the wired one you will have to do some installation work but the wireless ones will need batteries to function.
Multi door functionality
You don’t necessarily need additional keypads if you have more doors. The majority of the keypads allow you to program multiple doors
Check your garage door opener
Everything is dependent on it. To discover a compatible keypad, you must first determine the garage door opener’s brand, model, and series. Most keypad manufacturers specify the brands and series that they support or don’t support on their websites.
However, you should not rely just on this data; frequency is also crucial.
When it comes to wireless technology, frequency is a key factor in how well it works. Because of the advancement of technology, frequencies are now everywhere.
Therefore, if your wireless keypads have a lower frequency than the other frequencies in your area, interference will definitely occur.
The keypad will not work properly or obey orders as a result of this. To avoid such problems, try to find wireless keypads with higher frequencies.
Quality and Design
It may not seem crucial when compared to the other attributes, but the design and the quality of the gadget has an impact on your user experience.
When using a standard keypad, the positioning and overall size of the keypad might affect how quickly and easily the door opens.
There are also instances where the keypad’s buttons become trapped inside, making it difficult to use. Furthermore, on lower-quality keypads, it might quickly begin to leave markings or indications that one button has been pressed more than the others.
Of course, you can address the problem by changing the code frequently, but you can avoid this trouble by assessing the button’s quality before purchasing it.
Furthermore, while a permanently illuminated keypad can be handy, its design leads it to drain the battery faster than those with a light switch.
Benefits of using the best Keypad Garage Door Opener
Most modern garage doors now have keyless entry. Many current garage doors have small, basic keypads that give homeowners complete access to their garages without the need to carry a separate garage door remote. Here are some of the benefits of installing a keypad garage door opener.
Whether you are going for a walk with your dog or you are going for a run it’s no problem. To go back inside the house, you don’t need your keys or remote control. Keypad garage door openers eliminate the need to carry an extra set of keys or a remote by employing a user-defined code.
No parent wants their child to be stuck outside the gate because they don’t have a key. Kids are prone to misplacing keys. A keypad at the garage entry could be the answer, as all you have to do is enter the digits and the garage door will open.
Modern garage doors are simple to operate with a smartphone. This could be particularly useful if you are the sort that frequently forgets to close the garage door after leaving the house and driving away.
There will be no need to turn around in the car to check the garage door. With a garage door keypad, you can program a timer to close the door after it has been open for a specified amount of time. You won’t have to bother about double-checking if your garage door is closed or not.
In case the remote is misplaced, have a backup plan. You usually use the remote when driving into your garage, but what if you misplace it or lend it to a friend? You don’t have to be concerned that your keypad will open the door for you.
Multi-car problems will be solved when a keypad is installed at the garage door. If you have a large family and multiple automobiles, you will be able to save money on clickers as well as clicker battery maintenance and misplaced clickers.
Additional security feature
Some keypad garage door openers can be programmed with distress codes that can be used to call the cops or other emergency services.
Where should I install the garage door keypad?
There are few factors that determine where to install your garage door keypad as explained below:
Although most keypads are waterproof, it’s best to install your keypad away from weather elements like rain and direct sunlight.
Depends on who you want to have access to the keypad. You also don’t to bend or stretch out too far every time you use the keypad. If kids are not to access it, put it slightly higher but comfortably for you.
It almost sounds logical to install the keypad next to the garage. That’s fine, but it can also be set up on a pole or on the fence if you don’t have a remote so you don’t have to leave your care whenever you are back home.
Keypads vary from one to another as does the frequency range. Make sure you check the frequency range and test at your preferred location before mounting the keypad permanently.
Frequently asked questions about the best garage door opener keypad
Questions are to enlighten us more on topics of interest to us. Below are some of the answers to common issues relating to picking the best keypad garage door opener.
How much time does it take to install a garage door opener keypad?
It should normally take between 10-20 minutes depending on where you want to install the keypad.
How to change the battery of my garage door opener keypad?
Buy a new set of battery, remove the battery cover and replace the old battery with the new ones. Modern keypads use the non-volatile memory so you don’t lose your passcode or PIN after the battery change.
Can you add a keypad to an existing garage door opener?
Yes, provided your garage door opener supports a keypad.
Are wireless door keypads safe?
Keypads are generally safe and secure. The best keypad garage door opener must have the rolling code technology along with the +2.0 security for enhanced safety.
Can a garage door keypad be hacked?
It’s very difficult to hack a keypad. Modern keypads use the rolling code technology along with the +2.0-security feature which prevents hackers from gaining access into your keypad. Make sure you check the security features of your keypad before buying.
Is programming and installing a garage door keypad easy?
It should be very easy to program a keypad. I mean, it makes not sense to pay for someone to install the keypad for you. Most manufacturer provide clear instructions on how to program and set up the keypad. Some garage door openers also have a “Learn” button so you can understand how to use its keypad.
This is normally caused by the safety reversing sensors. If they are not properly alined or obstructed, the it will blink and not open the garage door. A single flash means that the sensor wires is shorted.
What height to mount the keypad?
Depends on the average height of those who need to access the keypad. Place the keypad at a position convenient to all users. Most people place the keypad at least five feet (5ft) from the ground.
Can I use multiple keypads at the same time?
It depends on your garage door opener. Most garage door openers have a limit on the number of keypads to connect to it at the same time. If the manufacturer’s manual indicate it can use more than one, then yes, you can. Check the compatibility first.
How do I set up or program the garage door keypad?
Each manufacturer provides a detailed manual on ho to set up the keypad. All you need to do is connect the keypad and the opener and set up the security code which can be from three (3) to eight (8) digits depending on the model.
Can the keypad be a different brand from what I had before?
Definitely, provided the keypad and the garage door opener are compatible. Consider using the best universal garage door keypad as this is likely to be compatible with your opener.
How many digits can you program into the keypad as the passcode?
Each keypad has a different number of digits that can be configured. The most popular choice, comparable to an ATM, is four digits. As an example, the linear keypad allows you to program one to six numbers.
Are keypad garage door openers universal?
Garage door keypads are frequently limited to specific brands and/or garage door openers manufactured after a specified date. Before purchasing a keypad, make sure it’ll work with your garage door opener.
Is there a lockout feature on garage door keypads?
Keypads with a lockout option are rather prevalent. When a user types a given number of passcodes, the keypad enters a timeout mode, which prevents future passcodes from being input for a specified amount of time.
The number of passcode attempts allowed before the timeout and the length of the timeout will differ.
Can I use my keypad garage door opener in the dark?
Many keypads have backlighting, which means that once the first key is touched, all of the keys light up for a considerable amount of time. This means that the keypad can be utilized at any moment. You’ll probably want a keypad that lights up if you’re going to use it in a low-light environment.
Best Keypad Garage Door Opener: Conclusion
Garage door opener keypads are necessary in today’s world, as well as for the best protection. For a relatively low cost, keypads can make our lives much easier.
Each of these wireless keypads will serve you well if you’re building or updating a garage. They will also come in handy if you haven’t decided which garage door openers to use yet, or if you’re looking for a better alternative.
Consider using the best garage door opener keypad with a defined manufacturer’s warranty.