It is annoying when you arrive home after a long day at work only to find out stray animals or intruders have disorganized and messed up your garage.
With a SmartThings garage door opener, you’ll never worry about leaving your garage door open again.
You can manage your garage door from anywhere using the SmartThings App.
You can even program your SmartThings compatible garage door opener system to open or close when you arrive home.
In this article, we look at the features, benefits, types, our top picks, and all the functionalities of SmartThings garage door openers.
By the end, you will know everything there is about a SmartThings compatible Garage Door Opener.
6 Best Smartthings Compatible Garage Door Openers List
- Meross Smart – most affordable
- GoControl/Linear – best all-rounded
- Nexx Garage Smart Wi-Fi – most effective premium option
- iSmartGate Pro – best door with an inbuilt camera
- Lomota Smart Wi-Fi – best in usability
- TailWind iQ3 – best automatic
What Is a SmartThings Garage Door Opener?
SmartThings is a Samsung-owned firm that makes smart hubs, cloud platforms, and client applications for smart homes and other Internet of Things (IoT) devices.
You can operate your garage door via the SmartThings App with a smart garage door opener that works with SmartThings.
The smart garage door switch will need to communicate with your SmartThings App via the Samsung SmartThings Hub
How to choose the Best SmartThings Garage Door Opener
When searching online for a garage door opener that will work with your connection hub, the number of options available is astonishing.
It takes some time to figure out which SmartThings garage door opener is ideal for you.
Let us look at the factors you need to consider
Factors to consider when choosing the best SmartThings garage door openers
Below are some of the key considerations to make or observe when choosing the best SmartThings garage door openers.
Ease of installation
Installation can be time-consuming for most wired smart garage door openers. Others come with bizarre instructions that make the task even more difficult.
As a result, before purchasing a garage door opener, determine whether you can install it yourself or whether you will require professional assistance.
When purchasing a SmartThings Garage Door Opener, one of the most crucial elements to consider is price. We all want to get high-quality products at reasonable prices.
You must compare prices from several sellers before deciding on the most favorable option.
When purchasing a SmartThings Garage Door Opener, the brand is also a crucial thing to consider.
Different dealers sell various brands, and it is important to know each type of brand before making a purchase.
High-quality and well-known brands, such as Apple, are more expensive than lesser-known brands.
Before you buy a SmartThings Garage Door Opener, you should think about how functional it is.
The specifications of any SmartThings Garage Door Opener’s functionality.
The higher the functionality, the more sophisticated the specs.
A broken remote, a malfunctioning garage door opener, or a technical issue should not spoil your day. The best garage openers should include tech support.
Whether you’re dealing with a garage door problem or just have a basic garage door question, the technical support team should be able to assist.
Integration with other devices is another important factor to consider. You’ll want your smart garage door opener to communicate with other connected gadgets in your home.
Programming particular lights to turn on and off when the garage door opens and closes is one good example.
Before you buy make sure your SmartThings garage door opener is compatible with your smart home ecosystem, which could include Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, or Apple Home Kit.
Even though Geofencing is not available on all garage door openers, it is a valuable feature.
It eliminates the need to use your phone, voice, or remote controls to access the door.
The sensor detects your vehicle and immediately opens the door for you.
The majority of users offer feedback about their experiences with various SmartThings Garage Door Openers they purchased from retailers such as Amazon.
The reviews are always shown on the same page as the product.
Such evaluations will assist you in determining if the SmartThings Garage Door Opener you want to purchase is good or not.
Best SmartThings Garage Door Opener Reviews
It can be confusing before you decide on which SmartThings garage door opener to choose. That is why we made this list. We used the above factors to make our selections.
Meross Smart Garage Door Opener for SmartThings
- Be Smart: Make your existing garage door smart. Remote and Voice Control, just tapping the meross app from anywhere or speaking to your Alexa, Google Assistant or SmartThings devices. To let in your family, guests or couriers through the garage door while you are cooking or not at home. No monthly fee or any other subscription fee!
- Compatibility Check: Please scroll down and check in the "Product guides and documents -Compatibility Guide (PDF)" whether your garage door model is in the compatibility list. Also you can check if your garage door model is in the compatibility list on meross official web.
- Multiple Notification Modes: Stay alert by different notification modes such as garage door open/ close status, overtime notification and overnight notification to remind you close the garage door. And you can check the garage door open/ close operation records through the APP.
- Stable and Precise: Meross smart garage opener works with Mediatek IoT chipset that supply Chipest for Amazon Echo smart speaker. Powerful chipest make it capable of longer WiFi connection range and lower disconnection rate than most of its competitors. And it comes with a high sensitivity sensor which monitors the status of garage door more accurate and the signal stays stable.
- Easy to Install: Installation is much easier than you may think. Pls make sure your wifi strength is acceptable near your garage door. This is the upgraded version, which has solved the interference issues our old verion may cause to some garage door remotes.
The Meross Smart Garage Door Opener is a durable, affordable, and performance-driven garage door opener that works with most chain and belt openers.
You will have to manually set it up with a wire on your existing system as it is a wired device. The setup can be time-consuming. Setting up the wiring requires roughly about six hours.
The performance, however, is flawless once it is set up, and Integrating with your existing home gadgets takes no time at all.
The door opener comes with its own app that is well-designed and simple to use, allowing you to control the gadget from anywhere.
The Meross garage door opener also contains an overtime and overnight warning system.
The system alerts you if the door is left open for an extended period or if opened late at night.
It can also be operated by Bixby once it’s connected to the SmartThings hub.
- It supports overtime and overnight notifications
- High-performance level
- Hard to set up
GoControl/Linear Garage Door Opener for SmartThings
- Go Control z-wave products provide up to 100 feet range between the wireless controller and/or the closest z-wave device
- Nortek security & control/Go Control has been providing best-in-class home & business control solutions for over 50-years and is a leading worldwide mfg. . of z-wave products
- Garage door position sensor frequency: 345 MHz ; Certifications FCC ETL UL 325
- This product requires the use and pre-installation of a Z wave HUB.
- Add Z-Wave control to your current garage door opener. Compatible with virtually any automatic garage opener w-sectional garage door
The GoControl /Linear Garage Door Opener uses Z-wave instead of Wi-Fi, hence it can only be used with the Samsung SmartThings hub.
The device comes with everything you need to set it up right out of the box.
It also comes with a mounting board for attaching it and zip ties to secure the cables, which makes it simple to set up.
The main device and the tilt sensor are the two components of the door opener.
The sensor is fitted to the garage door and communicates with the gadget utilizing Z-waves (you can review the best z-wave garage door opener here)
With the SmartThings app, configuring the device is straightforward. It does require calibration, but after turning the sensor on, all you have to do is open and close the door manually once.
The opener features an alarm and light system that flashes whenever the door moves, which makes its operation effortless.
It also sends you warnings via the SmartThings hub.
For accurate warnings, use the Samsung assistant to manage the door opener and integrate it with a security camera connected to your hub.
- Easy to set up
- Wireless sensor
- Comes with its Alert system
- Easy to connect to SmartThings hub
- Uses batteries which means you have to change them every few months
- Quite bulky
Nexx Garage Smart Wi-Fi SmartThings Garage Door Opener
- ❗ CHECK COMPATIBILITY BEFORE YOU BUY ❗ Nexx Garage is compatible with most garage door openers but, BEFORE YOU BUY, check compatibility on Nexx website or test following the instructions in the image gallery. 2.4 GHZ WiFi connection is required. Nexx wireless sensor detects up/down motion only.
- ✔️ OPEN, CLOSE & SCHEDULE your garage door anytime, anywhere while SECURELY SHARING with unlimited friends and family. KNOW YOUR HISTORY – Always know who is coming or going (and when!) and receive notifications if someone has forgotten to close the door. No other product lets you know both WHO & WHEN your garage is accessed!
- ✔️ ACTIVATE BY TAPPING OR SPEAKING. Control by tapping on the Nexx Home app or giving voice commands to Siri, Alexa or Google Assistant.
- ✔️ ENJOY INDUSTRY-LEADING CONNECTIVITY with an all-new external antenna for strong, reliable WiFi connection PLUS Bluetooth capability so you can control your garage door even when the internet’s out.
- ✔️ INSTALL QUICK & EASY WITH ZERO FEES. Automate your garage in 10 minutes or less with our all-new wireless sensor system. There are no hidden fees or ongoing monthly subscription. Even voice activation is FREE!
The Nexx garage smart door opener is a wireless device made up of two primary parts: the opener and the sensor.
Visit the Nexx Garage Compatibility page to see if your existing garage door opener is compatible with the device.
If your device is compatible, it is simple to set up, and the website will provide you with thorough instructions.
If your current system isn’t compatible with the smart door opener, it will tell you what additional components you’ll need to buy.
The Nexx garage door opener can work with your existing SmartThings hub, but it also comes with a well-designed and intuitive app of its own.
The door opener can be programmed to deliver push alerts anytime the door is opened using either the Nexx app or the SmartThings hub.
The device also tracks when the garage door is opened and closed.
The app can also be controlled from afar. This is particularly important if you have any packages on the way.
- Easy to use
- Easy to integrate with SmartThings
- Well built
- Compatible with a wide range of openers
- If your current system is incompatible, you may need to purchase additional components
iSmartGate Pro Garage Door Opener
- Compatible with all garage door openers (You can control up to 3 doors). For a ROLLER door you would need the GATE kit. For Chamberlain, Craftsman, LiftMaster openers with a YELLOW learn button you would need our ismartgate switch adaptor (sold separately). More info below.
- VOICE CONTROL AND FREE HOME INTEGRATION: ismartgate works with major smart home platforms for free: Apple Homekit, Google Home, Amazon Echo, Samsung SmartThings and iFTTT! Ask Siri, Google Assistant or Alexa to open or close the gate for you. Ask them for the status of the gate at any time and create scenes or home automations with other devices and services through our new “GarageWiFi & Gates” iFTTT channel.
- THE MOST COMPLETE SMART OPENER: ismartgate allows you to create different user accounts (restrictions by time, garage and location). It also allows you to integrate up to three (3) existing IP camera for real time video monitoring and recording from ismartgate app. ismartgate allows remote operation (open/close) of garage and remote alerts (open/close/left open) too!
- AUTOMATIC OPEN/CLOSE WITH GPS OR TIME: ismartgate will automatically open or close your gate when approaching or leaving your home (or at a given time). Simply link ismartgate to iFTTT to enjoy this feature!
- CUSTOMIZABLE APP: ismartgate allows you to upload a picture of your garage when open and closed. You can also choose if you want the “open/close” button to be “up and down” or “left to right”. This PRO version also includes a visual acoustic alarm and can play a dedicated song/tone for every garage door when open or closed.
The iSmartGate Pro is a security-focused wired garage door opener with a built-in camera.
The camera certainly adds to the price, but from a security standpoint, it serves as both a door opener and a surveillance camera. The main device is small enough to fit in the palm of your hand.
The setup is identical to that of other wired door openers, but it’s a lot simpler. It is, however, dependent on the model and make of your current system.
The process will be slightly easier if you connect it to your SmartThings hub before attaching it to the door.
It can be difficult to integrate it after you’ve connected it to the ceiling.
You may connect this gadget to other products in the house, just like the other SmartThings garage door openers.
The live stream from the camera can be viewed on your phone, but not on your TV, as it can with other SmartThings compatible surveillance cameras.
Furthermore, the system can open and close three garage doors at once and has a low Input Delay, allowing doors to close and open quickly.
- Inbuilt camera
- Multi door support
- Lite variant which is cheaper (if you don’t want the multi-door support)
- Disconnects from the hub (sometimes)
TailWind iQ3 Garage Door Opener
- Never leave your garage door open again. Patent pending technology senses which car you're driving and closes the door automatically when you leave (if you forget to do it yourself) - may require optional vehicle sensor. Please read the description details.
- Superior peace of mind. Unique security "Night Mode" makes sure your garage door is closed all night long. Grant guest users restricted or full-time access based on date and time.
- Open, close, check the door status, and receive alerts anywhere in the world using your smart device and the Tailwind iOS or Android app. Works with Google Home, Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, Siri Shortcuts, and IFTTT.
- Patent pending technology recognizes your vehicle's Bluetooth ID or the Tailwind vehicle sensor (sold separately or in other kits) so the garage door opens automatically when you arrive in your vehicle and will close if you leave and forget to close it (iPhone users or vehicles without Bluetooth must use a vehicle sensor). Please check our other listings for kits that include a vehicle sensor. Your smartphone must be with you in your vehicle.
The TailWind iQ3 has perfected the automation process if you’re willing to spend a little more money on it.
The Automation system uses the position of your smartphone and the Bluetooth connection in your car to open the door as soon as you park outside the garage.
It’s a security-enabled wired door opener.
This garage door opener satisfies all of the convenience and automation requirements.
While the initial setup can be a pain, it is a one-time effort that will save you money in the long run.
Tech Support will assist you in fine-tuning your settings to meet your requirements. In addition to the features listed above.
The device hardware is well-built and has a proximity sensor.
- Proximity sensor
- Convenient automation process
- Well-built hardware
- The setup process is tedious
Lomota Smart Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener Remote
- Make Your Traditional Garage Door Smart: With Lomota smart Wi-Fi garage door opener remote, traditional garage doors could be controlled by the eWiseHome APP, TuyaSmart APP, Smart Life APP, Alexa, and Google Assistant.
- High Compatibility: It is compatible with more than 200 brands and 1600 models. Please scroll down and check in the "Product guides and documents - User Guide (PDF)" whether your garage door model is in the compatibility list.
- Voice Control: Work with Alexa and Google Assistant, and open and close your garage door with simple voice commands effortlessly, especially when your hands are full.
- Remote Control: Open and close your garage door and check the status of your garage door anytime anywhere with internet access from your smartphone or tablet with the free eWiseHome, TuyaSmart, or Smart Life APP. Note: 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network support only.
- Notifications and Schedules: Get timely notifications for garage door opening, close, and overtime warnings. Besides, You can set your own schedules to automatically turn on and off your garage door.
The Lomota Smart Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener Remote is compatible with the majority of garage door openers.
If your garage door model is not listed in the compatibility list, you should consult the application guide.
With the free tuyasmart or smart life app on your smartphone, you can open and close your garage door and monitor the status of your garage door from anywhere.
Traditional garage doors can also be operated by the ewisehome app, tuyasmart app, smart life app, Alexa, and google assistant with the Lomota smart Wi-Fi garage door opener.
This device allows you to easily open and close your garage door using simple voice commands, which is especially useful when your hands are full.
You can even set it up to receive notifications for garage door open and closure, as well as an overtime warning.
Furthermore, you can program your garage door to open and close on your schedule.
- Voice control
- Compatible with many garage doors
- Easy integration
- If your current system is incompatible, you may need to purchase additional components
Benefits of Using SmartThings Compatible Smart Garage Door Openers
Using the best SmartThings compatible garage door opener brings with it loads of benefits some of which are highlighted below.
Unlimited access to your Garage door
You can use the SmartThings App to lock or open the garage door from anywhere.
If you forget to close your garage door, you can use the app to check the status of the door and subsequently close it if it’s still open.
You will never have to be concerned about intruders by leaving your door open.
Instant alerts and notifications
When your garage door opener detects that your door has been left open for an extended period or has been opened unexpectedly, you will be notified immediately, allowing you to take appropriate precautions.
You can program your garage door to open when you get home, close when you leave, and so on using the SmartThings App and Hub.
You can program your smart bulb to turn on or off when your garage door opener senses that it has been opened or closed.
Control all devices with one app
You can use the SmartThings app to access and operate your garage door opener and other compatible devices like doorbells, smart locks, without having to download additional apps.
Common asked questions about SmartThings compatible garage door openers
Here are some of the questions around Smartthings and garage door openers answered or you.
Can you make an old garage door opener smart?
Yes, you can. Chamberlain’s Hub effectively converts your existing garage door opener into a smart garage door opener from the company.
You receive access to Chamberlain’s app as well as all of the same features and capabilities.
The Garage Hub can work with your equipment even if you don’t have a Chamberlain or LiftMaster garage door opener.
Is LiftMaster compatible with SmartThings?
Because SmartThings does not directly support MyQ for LiftMaster and Chamberlain, the only option to make it work is to use a SmartApp named SmartThings MyQ.
Unfortunately, SmartThings was not chosen as a partner in the smart alliance, but IFTTT was selected as one.
Does MyQ garage door opener work with SmartThings?
Well yes and no. MyQ isn’t natively compatible with SmartThings, therefore, you won’t be able to add a MyQ garage door opener as a new device in the new SmartThings app.
The Best SmartThings Compatible Garage Door Opener
All factors considered, the Nexx SmartThings Garage Door opener is the best SmartThings compatible garage door opener.
It interacts with SmartThings and can be customized to send you notifications when the door is opened. It’s simple to set up and control from afar.
There are a variety of SmartThings-compatible door openers available in the market. All have their own set of pros and cons.
As a result, you must keep your needs in mind when looking for one.
The Nexx SmartThings Garage Door opener is our top pick but you should also consider the other choices as each of them has its advantages.