Are you looking for the ultimate convenience in a garage door opener? Belt drive garage door openers are your go-to options for reliability, extremely quiet operation, and convenience.
I never knew how quiet garage door openers can be until I owned a belt drive garage door opener. However, there is more to admire in a belt drive opener, other than the extremely low noise levels.
So, which is the best belt drive garage door opener? I reviewed some of the best in the market and their features.
Here’s my full list considering the durability, technical features, compatibility, availability of spares, installation procedure and horsepower.
- 5 Best Chamberlain Garage Door Openers [New Updated List]
- 6 Best Garage Door Openers Under $200
- 5 Best Screw Drive Garage Door Openers [New Updated List]
- 8 Best Wall Mount Garage Door Openers [Updated List]
- Top 7 Best Paint for Aluminum Garage Doors [Plus 17 Painting Tips]
- Best Jackshaft Garage Door Openers For Your Garage Door [Updated List]
Best Belt Drive Garage Door Openers Buyer’s Guide
Are you installing a new garage door opener? Or replacing the old one you had? Here is our ultimate list of the belt drive garage door openers you need to check out.
The Chamberlain B6765T
The Chamberlain B6765 is considered to be among the safest garage door openers. It incorporates advanced features and uses advanced technology to keep your garage safer.
It comes with an integrated video camera that enables a homeowner to monitor the garage through a live feed or recorded piece. It also has power backup; thus, users can operate their doors during power outages.
- Built in camera – this unit comes with a secure view camera that allows you to monitor activities in your garage.
- Maximum lift power – The Chamberlain B6765 is powered by a 1¼ horsepower motor for strong and reliable operations.
- LED lighting – The Chamberlain B6765 comes with the Chamberlain corner to corner LED lighting systems.
- Smart garage operations – the unit is Wi-Fi enabled for smart garage operations.
- Battery backup allows you to continually operate your garage your garage door opener during a power outage.
- The B6765 comes with 2-way audio communication that allows users to communicate between the garage and the myQ App.
- Easy installation – The B6765 is an easy unit to assemble and install. You can easily install it without external expert assistance.
- Quiet Operations – being a belt drive, the B6765 is an extremely quiet opener with minimal vibrations.
- Smart garage operation – the unit is Wi-Fi enabled and works well with MyQ for smart garage operations.
- Smart monitoring – comes with a smart vision camera for monitoring garage activity.
- It requires a subscription for motion-detected clips.
- Does not work with Alexa
The Chamberlain B550
The Chamberlain B550 is a strong ultra-quiet garage door opener powered by a ½ horsepower motor. It is Wi-Fi enabled for smart operations through MyQ app and comes with superior security features.
- The Chamberlain Group B550 comes with built-in MyQ technology that allows you to monitor the garage from anywhere using your smart devices.
- It has a steel-reinforced belt for a smooth and quiet performance.
- Strong ½ horsepower motor sufficient for heavy residential garage doors.
- The door opener also includes two 3-button remotes for controlling up to three different openers.
- It also has a security +2.0 code encryption that protects the door from being hacked by online fraudsters.
What to like
- Quiet operations courtesy of the belt drive mechanism
- Strong and reliable ½ horsepower motor
- Wi-Fi enabled for smart garage control
- Remotes & keypad for convenient access
- Superior security and anti-theft protection features
- It requires a subscription for the smart features.
The Genie StealthDrive 7155-TKV
The Genie 7155-TKV is among the best garage door openers overall. This unit offers reliability and durability. With a steel-reinforced belt and a 1¼ horsepower motor, this unit easily lifts the heaviest residential garage doors.
It comes with a battery backup and is Wi-Fi enabled for smart garage operations. It is extremely easy to install thanks to the detailed installation guide.
- 1¼ horsepower motor
- Battery backup
- Smart integrations
- Superior security features
- Compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant
- Quiet System – The presence of the belt minimizes the operational noise of the garage opener.
- Strong – This garage door opener runs on a 1¼ horsepower motor. This makes it a very powerful garage door opener ideal for opening heavy doors of any reasonable garage door weight.
- Battery Backup. The Stealth Drive connect comes with an in-built backup battery that allows owners to continue operating the garage door opener during a power outage. The battery system powers the garage door for up to 50 cycles.
- Smart System. The Stealth Drive connect integrates with most smart home automation systems. Garage owners can connect the garage door opener to their smart devices and operate the garage door opener remotely. This garage door opener integrates with Alexa, Google Assistant, and many more.
- Easy To Install. The system is fairly easy to install. It features a rail system that easily snaps together during installation.
- Requires an extension kit for doors exceeding 8ft height.
- App and voice control could be improved
- Strong connection is required to operate the app.
Genie 2055-LED Stealth 500 Essentials
The Genie 2055 is among the best ½ horsepower garage door openers. It has a steel-reinforced belt drive mechanism, which makes it extremely quiet and durable.
The Safe-T-Beam system helps prevent accidents, and Intellicode Security technology helps prevent unauthorized access to the garage by randomly changing the code from billions of possibilities every time the button is touched.
- ½ horsepower motor
- Battery backup
- Intellicode Security technology
- Safe-T-Beam security
Features we liked most
- Strong and quiet – The Genie 2055 is powered by ½ horsepower motor that comfortably lifts 7 ft. garage doors.
- Fast and easy installation – The Genie 2055 is among the easiest garage doors to assemble and install. You can easily install it yourself without expert assistance. It also comes with a pre-programmed remote.
- Homelink & Car2u compatible – The Genie 2055 is compatible with Homelink and Car2u. This enables you to operate your garage door opener from your car.
- Self-diagnostic safe-T-Beam system prevents accidents during automatic reversals.
- Intellicode security technology secures your garage by generating a unique access code every time your remote is activated.
- Additional extension kit needed for doors 8ft and above
The Chamberlain B970T
The Chamberlain B970T is our top garage door opener for heavy doors. This belt driven garage door opener packs a lot of exciting features to look out for.
The Chamberlain B970T is an ultra-quiet belt driven garage door opener powered by a 1¼ horsepower motor. The belt is steel-reinforced offering you strength and reliability.
The Chamberlain B970T is a smart garage door opener with built-in MyQ technology to keep you connected and protected. You can easily connect this garage door opener to your smart devices for remote operations. It also comes with a battery backup for continuous operations amidst a power outage.
- Belt driven – the Chamberlain B970T is a belt driven garage door opener with a steel-reinforced belt.
- 1¼ horsepower motor suitable for extremely heavy doors.
- Smart garage door opener with built-in MyQ for smart operations.
- Battery backup for continuous operations during a power outage.
What we like
- Ultra-quiet –The Chamberlain B970T is an extremely quiet garage door opener. It is belt driven with very minimal operational noise.
- Strong – the Chamberlain B970T is a very strong garage door opener with a steel-reinforced belt connected to a 1¼ horsepower motor.
- Battery backup – you never have to worry about a power outage. Continue operating your garage door even when the power goes off.
- Smart integrations – operate this garage door in using your smart devices and from virtually anywhere.
- Superior security features – The Chamberlain B970T features the highest level of encryption and monitoring, paired with your home’s ISP and Wi-Fi router firewalls guard against hacking.
- Superior remote control range of up to 1500 ft.
What could be improved?
- Installation process might be lengthy and a little bit complicated
- It lacks LED lights
The Chamberlain B1381
Chamberlain has been among the top brands for reliable and best value garage door openers. They manufacture garage door openers that suit your needs and offer you value for money.
The Chamberlain B1381 is no different. This model packs a lot of exciting features.
For starters, it runs on a 1¼ horsepower motor that easily lifts your heavy garage door. It has anti-vibration technology for a smooth and quiet operation. It also works very well in extreme temperatures.
The Chamberlain B1381 also comes with the Chamberlain corner to corner lighting. You don’t have to worry about garage lighting with unit installed.
You have the option to connect these smart floodlights to other smart lights in your home via the Wink app. They will give your home an elegant shine each time the garage door opens.
The Chamberlain B1381 is a smart garage door. It is Wi-Fi enabled and works well with MyQ. You can easily connect the opener to your smart devices and operate it remotely. You can open and lock your door using your phone as well as receive real time door action notifications.
When you connect this garage door opener to Amazon Key, you can safely receive Amazon packages delivered inside your garage. This ensures you do not have to be home to receive your dispatches from authorized Amazon delivery personnel.
- Belt drive garage door opener
- Powerful 1¼ horsepower motor
- Battery backup
- Smart garage control
- LED lighting
What to like
- Easy installation – The Chamberlain B1381 is a pretty easy opener to install. You do not need expert assistance. Just follow the detailed installation manual.
- Quiet – The Chamberlain B1381 is a belt drive garage door opener. It is extremely quiet with anti-vibration technology.
- Powerful – The Chamberlain B1381 runs on a 1¼ horsepower motor that easily lifts the heaviest garage doors around.
- Battery backup – this garage door opener comes with a battery backup option that gives you uninterrupted operation during a power outage.
- Smart garage operation – has built-in Wi-Fi connectivity and efficiently works with MyQ.
- LED lighting – this unit comes with 3100 lumens of LED lighting for corner to corner garage lighting.
- 8 ft. and 10 ft. doors require an extension kit
The SKYLINK ATR-3823BKW is a strong and reliable garage door opener. It comes with a lot of exciting features and is reasonably priced at under $200. This beast is packed with a 1 horsepower motor that will lift heavy residential doors measuring up to 16 ft.
Other than motor power, the SKYLINK ATR-3823BKW has inbuilt WI-FI that allows you to link your smart devices for smart operations. This model also integrates with Alexa, Google Assistant and IFTTT at no monthly cost!
The SKYLINK ATR-3823BKW also features built-in front and back dual LED lights for long-lasting illumination.
When it comes to security, the Skylink ATR is among the most secure garage door opener giving you peace of mind through its anti-break-in drive system and passcode protected remotes.
If you are looking for value for your money, this is definitely the model for you.
What to like:
- Strong and powerful – The Skylink ATR runs on a 1 horsepower motor and a steel reinforced belt. This makes it ideal for heavy garage doors measuring up to 18 ft. or over 500 pounds in weight.
- Security Features – Its anti-break-in drive system and passcode protected remotes guarantee you maximum security and peace of mind.
- Easy to install – this among the easiest models to install. It comes with a very detailed installation guide.
- Extensive Lighting – This garage door opener comes with built-in front and back dual LED lights for long-lasting illumination.
- Smart Operations – this model comes with built-in WI-FI and Bluetooth. This allows you to link it to your smart devices and operate it from your smartphone.
- Works with Alexa, Google Assistant and IFTTT at no extra cost or any subscription.
- No batteries for continuous operations during power outages
- Installation might be pretty tedious and time consuming.
Genie QuietLift Connect
The Genie QuietLift connect is among the best belt drive garage door openers produced by Genie. This unit offers a smooth and extremely quiet operation. It also packs a lot of power courtesy of the ¾ horsepower motor.
It is Wi-Fi enabled for smart garage operations. It conveniently works with Alexa and Google Assistant for operations through voice command.
- Strong ¾ HPC motor.
- Wi-Fi enabled for smart garage operations
- Compatible with Google Assistant and Alexa for voice command
- It comes with a Safe-T-Beam safety sensor for accident prevention
- Easy installation process with a detailed installation manual.
- Wi-Fi enabled for smart garage operations
- Powerful ¾ horsepower motor
- Extremely quiet with minimal operational noise
- Superior security features
- It lacks a power backup which attracts additional costs to install especially in states where it’s mandatory to have a backup battery
The Atoms ATR-1622BKW
The ATR-1622BKW was definitely manufactured with the user in mind. This unit is powered by a ½ horsepower motor and works very well with heavy garage doors measuring up to 500 pounds.
It is also Wi-Fi enabled for smart garage operations. You can easily link the opener to your smart devices and operate it from virtually anywhere. It works with Alexa, Google Assistant and IFTTT.
It comes with built-in 12W LED for long-lasting garage illumination. It also features a soft start and stop technology that reduces operational noise and vibration as well as prolong the lifetime of the mechanical parts.
- Powerful ½ horsepower motor
- Wi-Fi enabled
- Works with Alexa and Google Assistant
- 12W LED illumination
- The Skylink Anti Break-in System
- Easy to install. You do not require expert assistance to install the unit.
- Battery backup allows you to operate it even when there are power outages in your area.
- Smart garage operation. This unit is Wi-Fi enabled for smart garage operations. It works well with Alexa and Google Assistant.
- Strong and reliable. The DC motor is powerful, allowing for heavy-duty lifting for heavy doors.
- Anti-Break-in system makes unauthorized access difficult and nearly impossible.
- Extremely Quiet making it ideal for garages attached to the living space.
- Requires extension kit for doors measuring 8 ft. and 10 ft. high.
The Best Belt Drive Garage Door Opener – Final Verdict
The Chamberlain B6765T is the best belt drive garage door opener. I have reviewed this unit in detail and it has surely impressed me with its features. It is built to give its users the ultimate convenience.
It comes with a camera that monitors your garage. It is compatible with WI-FI, and it can be monitored and controlled through your smartphone. It also has the best security features that stop hackers from accessing your garage.
Frequently Asked Questions about Best Belt Drive Garage Door Openers
Here are some of the frequently asked questions about belt drive garage door openers.
Q: Belt drive vs. Chain drive, which is better?
Belt drive garage door openers are quiet, very reliable and durable and normally require less maintenance. They are however slightly expensive than chain drive systems.
Chain drive systems are also very strong and reliable. They are relatively cheaper options. They however require frequent maintenance which might escalate the longtime cost of ownership. They are also very noisy.
Q: Are Belt Driven Garage Door Openers Good?
Yes. Belt drive garage door openers are very good especially for residential use. These systems are very quiet, reliable and durable. They are very affordable and often require very little maintenance.
Q: How Long Will a Belt Drive Garage Door Opener Last?
The average lifespan of a belt drive garage door opener is 10 to 15 years. However, the lifespan can be shorter or longer depending on the maintenance routine. With proper and frequent maintenance, you can prolong the lifespan of your garage door by up to 3 years.
Q: How much is a Belt Drive Garage Door Opener?
Belt drive garage door openers are slightly expensive compared to chain drive systems. A good belt drive garage door opener will cost you about $250 excluding installation fees.
These systems offer value for money and are packed with a lot of advanced and exciting features. The cost of maintenance is also pretty low making the overall cost of ownership very affordable.
A belt drive garage door openers offers you the ultimate convenience that you desire. Owning one of these systems can really improve your garage door experience.
However, the market is flooded with a lot of these systems. Picking out the best might be an uphill task. I hope this review was detailed enough and informative to help you make the right decision regarding belt drive garage door openers.
I would love to hear your thoughts and comments. Talk to me in the comments section below.