Biking is fun and a great way to exercise. But, along with it comes the need to properly store your bike soon after you’ve had fun with it. The best garage bike rack will help you save space in your garage and make it look neat.
We keep many things in the garage – toys, storage bins, bikes, and cars. Trying to fit all these can result in a disorganized mess, injury, and damage to items. It is also an unnecessary hassle to go through at the start of your workday commute or biking time.
It is time to get those bikes organized, maybe off the floor and certainly out of your entryway. Once you try one of these seven simple bike racks for garage use, you will be kicking yourself for not having a garage bike storage solution sooner.
Heads Up: 7 Best Garage Bike Racks Summary List
- The Koova Wall Mount- Most durable
- The StoreYourBoard 5 Bike Garage Rack- Powder-coated
- The Steadyrack – Classic- Best for single bike storage
- The Wallmaster Garage Bike Rack- Easiest to install
- The Monkey Bars 2.0- Stores up to 6 bikes
- The RaxGo Free Standing Bike Storage Rack- Free-standing bike storage
- The XCSOURCE Wall Mounted Bike Storage Rack- Multi-purpose storage
- The Top 7 Best Paint for Aluminum Garage Doors [Plus 17 Painting Tips]
- 7 Best Direct Drive Garage Door Openers [ Complete Buyer’s Guide]
- 3 Best LiftMaster Garage Door Openers ( Buyer Guide Included)
- 5 Best Wall Mount Garage Door Opener [ New List 2021]
- 5 Best Screw Drive Garage Door Opener [New Updated List 2021]
- 5 Best Linear Garage Door Openers [ Updated 2021 List]
- Top 10 Best Chain Drive Garage Door Openers
Buyer Guide: Top 7 Best Garage Bike Racks
We’ve put together the top 7 best garage bike racks arrived at by looking at the features such as safety, security, storage space, stability, weight-holding capacity, method of installation and much more. Enjoy reading.
The Koova Wall Mount Bike Storage Rack
The Koova is designed to last a lifetime. It is made of heavy gauge steel, making it extra durable. You can store a variety of bikes, including fat-tire mountain bikes and large cruisers. It comes with extra hooks to help you hang other accessories like helmets. It comes with a lifetime warranty, and Koova is willing to repair or refund your money if you experience challenges with your product.
- Heavy gauge steel.
- Strong – can hold well over 200 lbs.
- Bike hooks to help store-wide tires.
- A unique and properly designed mounting system with angled holders supports bikes without damage to parts like spokes, tires, or rims.
- It comes with extra hooks to hang other accessories like helmets.
- Can store up to 6 bikes.
- Fits all types of bikes.
- Can handle wide tires up to 3 inches.
- Easy installation.
- Does not move or come off with use.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Some reviews suggest that the bikes may overlap. Fitting 6 bikes may be difficult.
- The paint could come off as the Koova is not powder-coated.
- Other customers feel that the hooks could do with more padding.
We definitely recommend the Koova. The fact that it is made of steel makes it durable and robust. It is designed to store your bikes without destroying parts. It can fit all sorts of bikes, even wide-tired ones, making it an excellent option for your garage. It also has extra hooks for your accessories. However, the company could do better by ensuring that the steel is powder-coated and that the hooks do not have plastic chips.
The StoreYourBoard 5 Bike Garage Rack
Just like the Koova, the StoreYourBoard is a solid, sturdy, and heavy-duty bike rack. The metal is powder-coated, making it more durable. You can fit up to 5 bikes here, no matter whether it is a kid bike, commuter, or mountain bike. It is designed for easy access should you need to do repairs or head out fast.
- Heavy duty.
- Adjustable bike hanging hooks.
- It can hold up to 5 bikes.
- Max weight is 200 lbs.
- Comes with mounting hardware like lag bolts, mounting brackets, and screws.
- Fits different bike types – universal, hybrid, kids bikes, bike rides, commuter, and even mountain bikes.
- Easy access for your bike ride or repairs.
- It has Secure hooks making it children-friendly and safe when handling their bikes.
- Hooking the bike is easy because of the adjustable bike hooks you can lock in with a pin.
- It is difficult for the bike to go free, as the fully locking pins lock the hook bracket.
- It is not built for fat-tire bikes (wider than 3”). It is easy to damage parts like the rim if you try to use the rack with large tire bikes.
- There have been lots of complaints about missing parts.
We recommend the StoreYourBoard. The metal is powder-coated makes it likely to last longer. It is also a safe bike vertical storage as the adjustable hooks hold in place. So you can be sure that even children are safe when trying to access their bikes. However, this is not built for fat-tire bikes, and you could easily damage your wide-tire bike.
The Steadyrack Classic Bike Rack
Unlike the other bike racks that we have come across this far, what makes the Steadyrack – Classic the best garage bike rack is that it is built to store only one bike. This means that it is built with a level of detail that you may not find in multiple storage racks. One other thing that makes this bike rack unique is that it does all the heavy lifting for you. You do not need to lift the bike. All you need to do is place the bike on its rear wheel and then push it into the rack. It is, however, not suitable for fat-tire bikes.
- It is made from steel.
- Can carry up to 77 lbs.
- No lift.
- 160-degree pivot feature.
- The recommended wheel diameter (including tires) is 20 to 29 inches.
- Suitable for 2.1-inch maximum tire width.
- Comes in a four-pack.
- Strong and durable.
- Does the heavy lifting for you.
- It folds completely flat against the wall.
- Space saver as it uses a pivot system instead of hooks or pulleys.
- Bikes rest on the front tire and have a snug fit, avoiding any damage to the rims or frames.
- It only holds one bike.
- It is not suitable for fat-tire bikes.
The Steadyrack is excellent if you are looking for a solution for smaller bikes. We really like the no-lift feature. Since it only holds one bike, you may need to go for the four-pack if you want to store more than one bike. This rack is sturdy, as it can hold up to 77 lbs.
The Wallmaster Garage Bike Rack
The WallMaster is extremely easy to install. We are talking about four screws, and you are done. It protects your bike from damage using the anti-scratch rubber hook. You can use it with most bike types – kid bikes, road, and mountain bikes. It is sturdy and will hold your bike well.
- Anti-scratch rubber-coated hooks.
- Can carry up to 50 lbs.
- It is made from solid steel.
- Comes in a two-pack.
- Fixed hook design.
- Can handle rim sizes of up to 3.3 inches.
- Expandable rail.
- Comes with five hooks for bikes and three smaller hooks for accessories.
- Extremely easy to install.
- It is effortless to take bikes on and off.
- Protects your bike from scratches and slipping.
- It can be used with most bike types.
- The fixed hook design minimizes the possibility of accidental release.
- Highly flexible as the racks are not on a rail.
- You need to install it into a wall with a stud.
- The hardware may not be as strong, and you may need to use at least 3” screws.
We recommend the Wallmaster Bike Rack if you are looking to store a single bike or are willing to buy more than one rack for multiple storages. This bike rack is extremely easy to install. However, you need studs in most cases.
The Monkey Bars Bike Storage Rack 2.0
The Monkey Bars 2.0 is made of industrial steel. It also has a powder-coat finish which increases durability. It holds up to 6 bikes and can hold up to 30 lbs weight. It comes with adjustable and contoured hooks that reduce movement on the rims and spokes, which causes scratches. This unit is also reasonably easy to install. You can drill the brackets into the wall studs.
- Stores up to 6 bikes.
- Max weight – 300 lbs.
- Each hook holds up to 75 lbs.
- J hook design and bend profile
- Adjustable, rubber-coated, and contoured hooks.
- It is made of industrial-grade steel.
- The hooks are made of steel and come with rubber for a firmer grip
- Powder coat finish.
- Comes with two color options – gray or tan.
- 48-inch wide rack
- It comes with the hardware you need to mount the rack onto the wall, including three flush brackets and six screws.
- Easy to install.
- Easy to get bikes on and off.
- Protects your rims and spokes from scratches.
- The hooks are securely attached to the bar making it difficult for them to pop off.
- Even though this rack can hold up to 6 bikes, the manufacturer recommends mounting four bikes for ease of access.
- The standard slotted lag screws could be this bike rack’s weakest point.
We definitely recommend the Monkey Bars Bike rack. What makes this the best garage bike rack is that it can hold the most weight on this list – 300 lbs max. Though there are complaints of sliding hooks, there are options to tie them in place. They, however, help in adjusting the rack based on bike size and number. In addition, it comes with two color options, which is a bonus.
The RaxGo Free Standing Bike Storage Rack
The Raxgo is a free-standing bike rack and has a solid base. This is unlike other wall mount racks that we have come across. It is suitable for most bike types. It comes with a two bicycle stand and has a maximum capacity of 90 lbs. One amazing thing about the Raxgo is that it does not limit you to a garage. You can use it anywhere, even in your living room.
- It is made of steel.
- Two bicycle garage floor stand.
- Heavy-duty shock-resistant supports and braces.
- Adjustable hooks.
- Steel arms for maximum support.
- Black powder-coated finish
- Anti-scratch rubber cradles.
- flexible locking knobs
- The free-standing design ensures that it does not lean on the wall, preventing damage from scratches and scuffing.
- Protects your bike against scratches
- Flexible enough to suit your ideal height position
- Fast assembly
- The hard plastic base could scratch floors, so you may want to put something underneath.
- The instructions need some improvement. You need a 10mm ratchet for assembly, something that is not so obvious from the instructions. The images are not so clear.
Overall, the RaxGo is an excellent rack, suitable for storing a maximum of 2 bikes. This is not limited to the garage, thanks to its free-standing feature. It is neat and is durable. The only downside is that it could scratch your floor, and you need to place something underneath the base. However, the fact that it does not touch your wall is a huge plus, as it means that there will be no damage to your walls whatsoever.
The XCSOURCE Wall Mounted Bike Storage Rack
Finally, we have the XCSOURCE garage bike rack. It is a heavy-duty rack that can carry up to 200 lbs. Again, you get to choose how you want to do the installation. You can combine the two brackets into one for storing five bikes or install the brackets separately and store other things like tools.
- It is made of industrial-grade iron.
- Embedded ring stabilizer.
- Comes with five storage attachments.
- Comes in a two-pack.
- J-shaped hooks.
- A precise build, allowing for even drilling of the brackets into wall studs.
- Fixing devices at the top and bottom.
- Comes with one extra element hook.
- 200 lbs max weight.
- 23-inch brackets.
- The bicycle arm hanger is rubber-coated.
- Flexible installation options.
- Prevents damage to your bicycle’s paint.
- A firm grip that prevents slipping.
- Works with most bike types.
- Easy to install.
- Adjustable bike distance.
- You can add suspension rods to hand extra items and tools.
- Easy bike placement and removal.
- Stable rack.
- The screws may not go through drywall, which could destroy the studs.
- You need to hang bikes in alternating directions to fit five bicycles.
- You need to add a wooden beam to the studs if you have drywall.
- The brackets are pretty far, making it challenging to include the studs in both.
The XCSOURCE does an excellent job. However, it can give you headaches during installation. You need to have a wooden beam if you have drywall; otherwise, it may just rip out the studs. You also need to get stronger and larger screws (at least 2 ½ inches). However, if you can overcome the installation glitches, it is a pretty sturdy rack.
5 Types of Garage Bike Racks
You may have noticed several bike types mentioned in our best garage bike rack review. Below is an explanation of the different types of bike racks.
Floor Mounted Bike Stands and Racks
This type allows you to store your bike standing up. Since it is mounted on the floor, it may not save you any garage space. It protects your wall from scratches, however. Floor mounted bikes and stands are further classified based on the part used to support the bike into axle stands, top tube hook stands, crankset, wheel, and bottom bracket stands. Let’s briefly look at each of these.
- Axle stands – these support the bike via the axle or chainstays. Check for axle compatibility before purchase.
- Top tube hook stands – support the bike by the top tube. Compatible with straight top tube bikes.
- Crankset – support the bike by the crankset. Only hollow cranksets are compatible.
- Wheel stands – support bikes by the wheel. Check for wheel diameter and width.
- Bottom bracket stands – these support the bikes by the bottom bracket.
Wall Mount Bike Racks
This type is made up of hooks that you screw into your garage wall. The hooks can be attached to a stud, sheet, or masonry, where the studs are bolted. Since this type involves drilling with the wall, you may want to confirm whether your landlord is okay with it, especially if you are dealing with rented space.
There are two types:
- Wheel holding – The bike is stored vertically and is held in place by the front wheel.
- Frame holding – stores the bike horizontally and is held by the top tube.
Free-standing Bike Storage Stands
You met a free-standing bike rack in our RaxGo review. These are not fastened to the walls and come in all shapes and sizes. They could be racks or poles where you ‘hang’ your bike. There is also a U-shaped version, fence-style, and smaller versions that are close to the ground. The floor-to-ceiling pole is a popular one. They get support from the floor and ceiling and are adjustable. Free-standing racks can be wooden or metallic.
Bike Storage Furniture
These are storage units or furniture with slots where you can store your bike. They are portable and double as storage units for other items. The wheels usually hold the bike. Ensure that the slots fit your bike tire width.
Pulley and Winch Storage
These are attached to the ceiling or high up on the wall. The bike is attached to a hook or harness and then hoisted. They have a secondary attachment that prevents swinging at the slightest movement. These are more practical where you have high ceilings.
4 Things to consider before choosing your garage bike rack.
Managing your garage is not only a matter of ensuring it’s safe and working. A lot comes to play. You need to mind the storage issues; how clean the garage is and much more. And when bikes are involved, a lot of storage space can go to waste. We look at four (4) ways to help you organize the bikes in the garage.
Do I need a vertical bike rack?
If you are the type that constantly throws the bike awkwardly in the hallway, on the floor or leave then tied up on your garage’s ceiling, it’s time you got yourself a vertical bike rack (Steadyrack Classic is a great option here).
Because garages are predominantly known for keeping four-wheeled autos, storing your bike in the garage is a brilliant idea if you have some extra space for a bike rack. Below are important questions to ask yourself before you set off to purchase a garage bike rack.
- Where do you hope to store the bike within the garage? Of course, there are other places to store the bike but once you’ve settled for the garage, it’s time to know the exact place to place the bike or the soon-to-come bike rack.
- Other than the location, you need to figure out how much space there’s within the garage and the number of cars to be kept in the garage. The space available also determines how many racks you can store in the garage. The recommended space between racks is 350mm.
- Finally, think of the number of bikes you wish to store and their sizes. Bikes vary in size and type. The number of bikes to be stored determines how many garage bike racks will be needed as well as the type.
- Other factors to consider the durability of the garage bike rack, stability of the rack, size, the material used, the weight and design of the bike rack and the safety features the bike rack has.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Best Garage Bike Racks
Here we’ve answered some of the questions bike lovers and garage owners have when talking about the best garage bike racks.
Is it Okay to Hang Bikes by Their Wheels?
It is absolutely okay. Bike racks are built to designate your bike wheels as the contact points between your bike and the rack. So there’s no reason to remove your bike wheels when hanging them unless the rack manufacturer states otherwise.
How High Should a Bike Rack Be?
The bike rack should be between 30 and 35 inches tall. You measure this at the center point of the bike racks’ length. This height is taller than most bike top tubes.
What is the Best Rack for Storing Multiple Bikes in my Garage?
A bar garage storage bike rack is perfect as it allows you to hang multiple bikes in a row. Some models like the Koova and Monkey Bars can hold up to 6 bikes.
Is It Safe to Hang a Bicycle in My Garage?
If you use a good-quality rack for your bike, you have nothing to worry about. Make sure you get a rack made from durable materials such as steel. Most importantly, make sure that you install the rack correctly as per the manufacturer’s instructions.
How Much Weight Does a Bike Rack Hold?
This is highly dependent on the bike rack in question. We have models that can carry up to 300 lbs in weight. Models built for a single bike could carry a maximum weight of 77 lbs, while those meant to carry two bikes could have a maximum weight of 45 lbs per bike. For this reason, we advise you to check the manufacturer’s weight limit recommendation for your specific rack to get an idea of how much weight it can carry.
Best Garage Bike Rack? Editor’s Pick
The best garage bike rack is the Koova Wall Mount Bike Storage Rack. It is made from heavy gauge steel, which ensures durability. The fact that it comes with a lifetime warranty speaks volumes. It works for all bike types, even fat tires, and cruisers. There are no limits with the Koova. It comes with extra hooks for extra storage of other materials.